Thursday, September 18, 2008

Expand my reach

It seems that the US is becoming increasingly compartmentalized, a process known as the big sort. The county I live in, I believe, is going to go for Obama in a big way. We'll be isolated in a sea of red, however. The presence of the University makes this county much more liberal than the surrounding counties. (That said, some of the nearby counties are suffering much more in this economy, which in theory should turn them off to Sen. Fundamentals-of-the-economy-are-Strong.)

So, acting locally may well be preaching to the choir.

I need a way to speak to those outside of my sphere. And I need to do that in a way that doesn't insult or demean them. The divisiveness of politics in this country over the past 10 years wearing us all down: that's not the nation we know and love. I will endeavor to be the change I want to see.

2 Comments:

Blogger Marilyn Z. Tomlins said...

Hi Paul

I support neither Obama nor McCain, but don't be so certain that OBama will be the US' next president.

Marilyn

11:53 AM  
Blogger Paul said...

Oh, it's far from certain. There are enough people that won't vote for a black man (though they'd never admit that's the reason) to leave the race in doubt.

But I have chosen optimism in this, but pessimism is too darn easy.

1:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home